John C. Debevoise House
Collection: Eugene Armbruster Drawings and Photographs
Description: John C. Debevoise House - On the SW corner of Fresh Pond Road and Catalpa Avenue (now 68-52 Fresh Pond Rd.). The house was built in 1848; Mary Jane Way Debevoise (Widow of John C.) sold the house in 1906 and moved to Brooklyn in 1910 where she died. The home was bought by the Knights of Columbus Ridgewood Council in 1915, and it was extensively altered. The Third Districts Magistrates Court opened here March 15, 1922, and was there until 1931. The court addition at left and in the rear of the house are visible in the photo, the holding cells were built in the cellar. The building was demolished in 1974 and a senior center erected on the site.
Dwellings; Streetscapes (Urban design)