Newtown - Alburtis House Center Left, Calvary Cemetery in Far Background
Collection: Eugene Armbruster Drawings and Photographs
Description: Alburtis House - Can be seen center background located on the south side of Borden Avenue (aka Newtown Ave., now under Queens Midtown Expressway) east of 50th Street. The frame house at far left originally stood across Borden Avenue in Calvary Cemetery Grounds; Calvary Cemetery owned all of this land in 1923, including the stone water tower at far left and stone house in foreground. The Alburtis Family was here ca. 1682 - 1830, the Pebbles Family 1852, 1860. The Alburtis house was razed in 1927, and in the 1950’s the yard was used for Third Calvary Cemetery maintenance buildings. Photograph taken March 1923.
Farmhouses; Dwellings; Barns