You are here

Newtown - Banzer’s Park Lake

Collection: Eugene Armbruster Drawings and Photographs
Date: August 1923; 1923-08 Material: Black and white photograph Dimension: 4.5 x 3.5 inches; 400 dpi
Creator: Eugene L. Armbruster Identifier: aql:39135 ela-003936 ela-003936.TIFF

Description: Banzer’s Park - Now Highland Park on the SW corner of Cypress Avenue and Cypress Hills Street, east of the Ridgewood Reservoir. Banzer's Park was a privately run recreation area also known as Cypress Hills Park and was owned by the Banzer family but had different proprietors over the years, and so was also at times called Banzer's, Wissel's, Bookman's, Richter's, or Gerken's Park. A large U-shaped artificial pond called Banzer Lake, used by boaters in the summer and ice skaters in the winter, was the dominant feature of the site, which also contained, by 1891, a pavilion, a bandstand, a dining room, four bowling alleys, and some popular shooting ranges. Construction of the Interboro Parkway cut through and most of the pond was filled in sometime before 1951, the rest was filled in by a Cemetery in the late 1980’s. This photograph was taken in August 1923.

Collection : aql:7837

Creator : Eugene L. Armbruster

Date : August 1923; 1923-08

Summary/Description : Banzer’s Park - Now Highland Park on the SW corner of Cypress Avenue and Cypress Hills Street, east of the Ridgewood Reservoir. Banzer's Park was a privately run recreation area also known as Cypress Hills Park and was owned by the Banzer family but had different proprietors over the years, and so was also at times called Banzer's, Wissel's, Bookman's, Richter's, or Gerken's Park. A large U-shaped artificial pond called Banzer Lake, used by boaters in the summer and ice skaters in the winter, was the dominant feature of the site, which also contained, by 1891, a pavilion, a bandstand, a dining room, four bowling alleys, and some popular shooting ranges. Construction of the Interboro Parkway cut through and most of the pond was filled in sometime before 1951, the rest was filled in by a Cemetery in the late 1980’s. This photograph was taken in August 1923.

Subject : Ponds; Parks

Rights : Public domain

Coverage : Glendale, Queens, NY Glendale (New York, N.Y.) Queens (New York, N.Y.) Newtown (Queens County, N.Y.)

Type : Black and white photograph

Format : Black and white photograph; 4.5 x 3.5 inches; 400 dpi

Identifier : aql:39135 ela-003936 ela-003936.TIFF

Related Items

Subject:
Ponds; Parks
Rights Notice
Public domain


Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <br>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.