Newtown - Hotel on the North Side of Myrtle Avenue at Union Turnpike
Collection: Eugene Armbruster Drawings and Photographs
Description: Hotel in Glendale - former hotel building on the north side of Myrtle Avenue at Union Turnpike; it was adjacent to Schmidt’s Woods Picnic Park, which covered 26 acres of Glendale off of what is today the intersection of Myrtle Avenue and 83rd Street. It was owned by Welz & Zerweck Brewing Co. of Ridgewood, and operated by various proprietors. The park was designed for families and included swings for children, picnic tables and benches, baseball fields and even a soccer field. One of the big sellers at Schmidt’s Woods was, naturally, beer. It wouldn’t be long after Prohibition hit that Schmidt’s Woods would become a memory. It closed in 1925, one of the last of the Glendale picnic parks to shut down. The land was redeveloped for housing.
Hotels; Bars (Drinking establishments); Parks; Roadhouses